As with most big projects, the best way to tackle moving is one step at a time. With careful planning and an early start, you can greatly reduce the stress of your move. Here is a checklist to help you take care of all the details.
DOWNLOAD THE PRINTABLE MOVING CHECKLIST + TIPS
DOWNLOAD YOUR 10% OFF PODS COUPON
8 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Get a PODS quote online or by calling 800-776-7637.
- If you’ll need labor help on moving day, collect quotes from packing and loading companies. We’re happy to refer you to one of our trusted moving labor partners.
- Create a “Move File” to keep track of all your estimates, receipts, and other important information.
- Contact the Chamber of Commerce of the city you’re moving to and request a new resident packet.
- Begin researching your new hometown online.
- Create a floor plan of your new home for furniture and appliance placement.
- If necessary, schedule work by carpenters, painters, plumbers, roofers, and other tradesmen so your new home is ready when you move in.
- Make an inventory of your household goods and begin to remove clutter. Start with the attic, basement, garage, and other storage areas.
- Start preparing for the garage sale you will hold in Week 3.
- Check with the IRS or your accountant for possible tax deductions for your move.
- Gather personal and family records including medical and dental, veterinary and school records, legal and financial documents, birth certificates, passports and insurance documents.
6 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Change banks if your current bank does not have branches in your new community.
- Ask your doctor and health care providers for referrals and obtain copies of all medical records.
- Have antiques, pieces of art, musical instruments, and other valuables appraised.
- Begin using frozen foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved.
- Make a list of friends, relatives, and businesses to notify of your move.
4 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Schedule the delivery of your PODS containers (visit pods.com or call 800-776-7637).
- Order moving blankets to protect your items from damage during transportation. Moving blankets can be rented or purchased from most locations. Your PODS Customer Care Representative can help you with this while scheduling your container for delivery.
- Check with your insurance company to confirm your possessions are covered during transit. Sign up for PODS’ Contents Protection Option if you’ll need it.
- Schedule connection of utility services at your new home, including electricity, water, sewage, cable, Internet, telephone, and trash disposal services.
- Schedule the disconnection of utility services at your old home. Don’t forget to disconnect the day after you move and connect the day before you arrive at your new home. If you have any “final month” deposits with services such as the electric company, don’t forget to request your refund.
- File a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service and pick up an official USPS Mover’s Guide at your local post office.
- Purchase locks for your new home or arrange to have them installed upon moving in.
- Review PODS packing and loading instructions at pods.com/loading.
- Order packing supplies such as boxes and tape from podsboxes.com.
- Arrange for your house cleaning and repairs.
- Make any necessary travel plans for your move.
3 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Hold your moving sale or sell items online through websites such as eBay. Donate leftover items to charities.
- Properly dispose of items that cannot be moved or thrown out such as chemicals, pesticides, flammable liquids, and batteries.
- Cancel your newspaper delivery service.
- Change the address of your magazine subscriptions.
2 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Service your car in preparation for the move.
- Return any borrowed items such as library books and retrieve all borrowed items.
- Prepare auto registrations for transfer if you are moving to another state.
- Transfer all prescriptions and be sure you have an adequate supply of medications during your move.
- Assemble a file folder of information to leave for the new owner of your home.
- Order new checks so they’re ready by moving day.
1 Week Before Moving Day
- Send change-of-address cards to everyone who will need to contact you.
- Pack a bag with your checkbook, credit cards, phone records, identification, flashlight, keys, mobile phone charger, toiletries, paper plates and cups, towels, travel alarm clock, bottled water, first aid kit and games for the kids.
- Pack a suitcase with clothing and other personal items.
- Pack a portable TV/stereo as you may not get around to unpacking and connecting that big screen TV for a few days.
- Make childcare arrangements for moving day.
The Day Before Moving Day
- Confirm your PODS container pickup, delivery date, and address at your new home by visiting pods.com or calling 800-776-7637.
- Make sure your PODS container padlock keys are in your possession.
- Have an adequate amount of cash for any travel expenses you cannot pay for with a credit card.
- Empty and close your safe deposit box.
- Drain power equipment of oil and gas.
- Confirm any travel reservations.
- Empty, defrost, and clean your refrigerator and freezer at least 24 hours before moving day.
- Vacuum and make arrangements for disposing of any remaining trash.
- Disconnect and prepare major appliances. Separate anything that will travel in your car.
- Pack a cooler with drinks and snacks if you are traveling by car.
- Pack a box of items that you will need right away at your new home and label this box “load last.” Place this box closest to the PODS container door so that you can access it right away.
- Check every room, cabinet, closet and attic one last time before deciding everything is loaded.
- If pets are traveling with you, make sure you have an adequate supply of food, medications, leashes, a travel cage, and a water dish packed in the car.
- Take note of your utility readings.
- Leave a note with your contact information in the house so that the new residents can forward any items left behind and forward any stray mail.
- Keep a friend or family member informed of your moving schedule and contact information in case of an emergency or unexpected event.
Prior to Delivery Day
- Ensure your utilities have been connected.
- Check your possessions carefully as soon as possible and note any damaged items.
Contact us to begin your move and find out how much you can sell for!
CELL 908-455-4129 | Office: 855-289-5965
Moving Checklist courtesy of PODS